Saturday, April 11, 2015

I LEFT MY HEART AT MISS BESSIE'S

It's spring, when a young writer's fancy turns to Janet Reid's 
To celebrate the publication of Kari Lynn Dell's debut novel THE LONG RIDE HOME we are holding a writing contest! I love this book with all my heart. And I've loved Kari's writing since I met her, way back in 2002 I think. Or maybe 2003. Anyway, forever ago in agent years!

Lucky winner (or winners!) will receive a copy of THE LONG RIDE HOME as a prize. I read this book in draft form some time back, and then the finished version just this week. I had to prop my eyes open with toothpicks the next morning because I could NOT put the book down and go to snoozerville at a proper hour.

The usual rules apply:
1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer.
2. Use these words in the story: dell   horse   long   ride   home
3. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word. Long/longer is ok. Long/lounge is not.
4. Post the entry in the comment column of THIS blog post.
5. One entry per person. If you need a mulligan (a do-over) erase your entry and post again.

Contest opens: Sat 4/11/15 at 10am   and   Contest closes: Sun 4/12/15 at 10am

My entry (4th one):


I was raised in Miss Bessie's Basin Street bordello. I'd tag along with Sweet William while Mama was upstairs conductin' business. I'd sit on the horsehair settee in the parlour while William played the piano. We'd play checkers. Miss Bessie would make gumbo.

One day Grandma came with the sheriff and took me away, she said to save me from wickedness. "Satan lives there." I said I didn't know any Mr. Satan. It was a long ride to Grandma's. I cried the whole way.

I lived with Grandma for eleven years and wanted for nothing, but it was never home.

....

UPDATEThe winner is announced and it's not I. Although I did get special recognition for "bordello." siiiiiigh



....

No comments:

Post a Comment