Sunday, February 8, 2015

HOMERUN HOLDEN

It's time for another Janet Reid's Flash fiction contest for SIGNAL by Patrick Lee!

Advance Reader Copies of SIGNAL by Patrick Lee! Need I say more? [NO!] 
One (or more??) lucky contest winner will receive an ARC of SIGNAL. These are FRESH off the press, no one else has it yet! 
And if you haven't read RUNNER (the first Sam Dryden novel, you could get that too, IF you win!!) Have I motivated you sufficiently? [YES!] 

Usual contest rules 
1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer. 
2. Use these words in the story: signal hour crane collapse homer 
3. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word. The word must appear as that whole word however. Example: Signal/signals is ok but crane/cranberry is not. 
4. Post the entry in the comment column of THIS blog post. 
5. One entry per person. 
6. Titles count as part of the word count (you don't need a title) 

Contest opens: Saturday 2/7/15 at 10am.   Contest closes: Sunday 2/8/15 at 10am 



My husband's Harvard nickname was Homerun Holden because he cheated like a Kennedy and drank with Irish enthusiasm. Homerun liked his women slutty. I was his first twinset-with-pearls. 

I married Holden confident I would change his ways, and I did. His drinking abated, his philandering ceased... momentarily. 

I should've left at the first whiff of her Shalimar. Olivia Crane signaled the collapse of my marriage. Liv, with her hourglass figure and Christian Louboutins. Liv of the law firm Crane, Poole and Schmidt. Holden's ultimate Madonna-whore. 

When my dignity was spent, I packed up my pearls and congenital hubris and left.





UPDATE: I didn't win -- again -- but I got a mention:

A great descriptive line:
"I was his first twinset-with-pearls."
Kitty 9:46am




.....

No comments:

Post a Comment