Saturday, November 1, 2014

CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL

Janet Reid's TBTTAUA writing contest!

In honor of the paperback edition of THE BEAUTIFUL THING THAT AWAITS US ALL by Fabulous Laird Barron, let's have a writing contest!



The usual rules apply:

1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer.
2. Use these words in the story: beautiful, thing, await, paper, back  
3. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word: so backboard is ok, but black is not.





Arnold Briar knelt down in the confessional. 

"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It's been years since my last confession. Father...?"

"Yes?"

"Do people go to hell?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I've sinned a lot, Father."

"Tell me your sins."

"I've committed adultery. I've never paid child support. I've plagiarized newspaper columns for my own. I lied about my background.  I..."

Footsteps approached the confessional.

"Don't worry. To reach the beautiful thing that awaits you, just keep up the good work."

The priest's door opened and Arnold caught a whiff of sulfur.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," he said.

...


I didn't win, but I made the finalist list! YEE-HAW!






No comments:

Post a Comment