Saturday, November 8, 2014

HE'S KNOWN AS THE LONG BEACH SANDMAN

Janet Reid said: In honor of the Bouchercon anthology let's have a writing contest!

The usual rules apply: 
1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer.
2. Use these words in the story: long,   beach,   sand,   bill,   max
3. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word. Thus:   Billiard is ok but breach is not.
4. Post your entry in the comments column of THIS blog post
5. One entry per person. If you need a mulligan (a do-over)  erase your entry and post again. It helps to work out your entry first and then post.
6. International entries are allowed, but prizes may vary for overseas addresses
7. Titles count as part of the word count (you don't need a title)
8. PRIZE is the brand new Bouchercon anthology with a whole host of amazing stories.


Contest opens: Saturday, 11/8/14 at 10am    Contest closes: Sunday, 11/9/14 at 10am




My entry:

He's known as the Long Beach Sandman, the lawyer who puts juries to sleep, but he's all I can afford. We're meeting so he can maximize his billable hours. 


"Attempted murder." 


"How long?" 


"Fifteen years." 


"I'm innocent!" 


"Sweetheart, you used your husband as a speed bump...repeatedly." 


"He got some broken bones. Big deal! The douchbag deserved to die." 


"Is it a deal?" 


"He cheated on me, pawned my diamonds." 


"Is it a deal?" 


"Yeah, sure. I can't afford a trial." 


"You'll still be young when you get out, and the douchebag will still be crippled." 


"Shoulda used the Hummer."


....


The results are in. I didn't win and I wasn't mentioned, but so what. I really love these contests! 


....




No comments:

Post a Comment