Saturday, August 24, 2013

JANET REID'S "GONE FISHIN' WRITING CONTEST"

Janet Reid's  The Gone Fishin' Writing Contest
Vacation!
Yes indeed it's time to hang up the Gone Fishin' sign and retire to reading books instead of manuscripts, turn off the phone, and put a padlock on the email inbox!
 To celebrate the start of a week off, let's have a writing contest!
 Usual rules:
 1. Write a story using 100 or fewer words.
 2. Use the following words in the story
 beautiful
downtown
queens
rental
cat
 You must use the exact letters of the word in order, but the word can be part of a larger one:
 Catch but not cart
 rentals but not detrimental
Contest opens Saturday August 24 at 10am. Closes Sunday August 25 at 10am.

Here's my entry:

PARENTAL DUTIES

We sat on a bench -- me, Mom and Catherine -- near the downtown bus station, clutching our possessions. Cath watched a couple of queens plying their trade while I counted our money for food, shelter and transportation.

Mom's acting odd. "Did you remember your Lithium?"

"I don't need that."

Beautiful. Add that to the list; scratch transportation.

Cath starts second grade next week, and I've got to find us a place to live -- again. And food. Shoes for Cath. Mom's meds. I remember going fishing once. Maybe I will again. Maybe I'll start fifth grade, too.



UPDATE: And the winner is...not I, but that's fine. I always love the creative process of entering.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment