Saturday, July 11, 2015

MAC THE IT MAN

Another Janet Reid WRITING CONTEST!
We are knee-deep into July; NYC is hot and humid. The best thing to cool everyone off is a flash fiction contest!

The usual rules apply:

1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer.
2. Use these words in the story: dongle bangle fangle ten tear
3. You can make up definitions for any or all of the words, but I must be able to understand what they mean from the context of the sentence or story.
4. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word. The letters for the
prompt must appear in consecutive order.

Thus: ten/tenth is ok, but ten/twenty is not

5. Post the entry in the comment column of THIS blog post.
6. One entry per person. If you need a mulligan (a do-over) erase your entry and post again. It helps to work out your entry first, then post.
8. Titles count as part of the word count (you don't need a title)

Contest opens: Saturday, July 11,  8am; closes: Sunday, July 12, 8am



My Entry:



"Mac, darling, can you come over and fix my computer?"
"Hello, Beth. What about Duncan?"
"He's history, and don't even pretend you care."
"What happened?"
"He got all kingly on me, like I was his servant. So, can you fix it?"
"I'll tear right over."
...
"Did Duncan try fixing this?"
"Why?"
"Because your once awesome PC is Bangled."
"Bangled?"
"A mess. You'll need a new dongle cable."
"A what?"
"Oldfangled computer thingie."
...
"Done. So foul and fair a computer I have not seen."
"You're the best, Mac!"
"Yeah, that's me."

I'm also history, until Beth needs IT again.


....


UPDATE: And the winner is....not I. To be honest, I wasn't as thrilled with my story this time as I would want to be. (To be or not to be....) The winner wrote a truly inspired story with 'word salad' as its theme. 

Soanyways... JR did give me special recognition for "Absolutely gorgeous evocation of the Scottish play." I don't know if I would have described it quite that way. I figure Janet was still buzzin' on her sinus headache meds, but I am very grateful for the mention :~) YEAH ME!


....


No comments:

Post a Comment